Thursday, January 25, 2007

UNMATCHED

I would like to say I'm bad at dating, but it would seem necessary to actually go on dates before rating my success level. To this end, I occasionally consider entering the online personals realm, but I can never quite get over my hang-ups.

To preface, I have no doubt that meeting people can be highly effective and satisfying. In all practicality, the internet is just another public space in which you can meet up with friends and strangers alike. I have no problem with online dating, in theory; I just can’t do it myself, yet.

First, I’m not ready to give up the first impression experience when meeting someone in person. Sure, deception is practically standard in dating; only revealing layers of truth over time, and it can be done as effectively in person as remotely. I still hold to the belief that some form of twitchy, shifty, calloused, distant, clingy, creepy behavior is more likely to slip through when directly interacting with someone than when masked by the text medium.

I’m also reticent to submit my image and personal details to an infinitely replicable and editable medium. Though I have caved somewhat with MySpace and Blogger accounts, I haven’t yet found my profile info scraped and redistributed on any alternative adult sites I didn’t submit to, as happened to a friend of mine who suddenly found out his image was being used to draw customers to a gay personals site.

And the current, decisive reason I choose to steer clear of the internet for my socializing is my rage over the Match.com logo. With the extensive advertising push in the ramp up to Valentine’s Day, this offensive little logo has been foisted into my awareness. It consists of figures that are usually used to designate men’s and women’s public bathrooms. The male figure stands there, strait as ever while the female cuddles up against him kicking her rounded heal behind her in blissful glee. Yes, the man stands impassively while the woman vies for his attentions and clings. This gross generalization of dating stereotypes only adds to the pains of interpersonal miscommunication and insults half of Match’s customer base.

2 comments:

Sean Oliver said...

Simple fix. Don't join Adult Dating Sites.

Sean Oliver said...

Seriously? Logo Rage? I would thingk you would balk more at the activity that is copywriting.