Sunday, April 09, 2006

ANOTHER SWING AND A MISS

“I Tried” That’s the sticker they would give me back in WW when I got turned down for blood donation. It’s a reoccurring theme in my attempts to contribute to the medical world.

I believe quite strongly in blood donation. It’s something that costs me nothing, but could be life saving to someone else. I don’t have a rare blood type or anything, but it still seems like it ought to be useful. Short of paralyzing fear of needles or health reasons, there doesn’t seem to be a reason not to take part. People might question the way funds are used by the Red Cross, but there’s no misusing a blood donation. (At least not that I’ve heard of, but perhaps I’m being naïve.)


However, my batting average at successfully donating continues to slip. Other than the one-year suspension for a body piercing, I consistently fall short on my iron percentage. The Blood bus actually comes to my office building every couple of months now, and both visits have resulting in me nursing a consolatory glass of juice, and few recommendations on how to achieve the 38% minimum iron count to be cleared for donation. They have also let me know that anything over 32% is healthy for women, which is a relief, they just don’t want to risk relieving anyone of a pint should they fall short of 38%. Something about passing out and anemia or some such nonsense.


I thought I was ready this time. I’d been taking my vitamins much more frequently than before, which isn’t to say religiously or anything, and I was eating oatmeal for breakfast. And yet, my count had actually dropped three points since February, leaving me at 34%. Unacceptable!


While my dear friend Stephanie, who is incredibly squicked out by the concept of blood donation, has suggested I just stop trying to donate and move on, I am taking this as a challenge. I will achieve 38% if not higher. Who knows, it might even increase my energy levels and stop me from being such a lazy slob. It’s time to start loading up on the broccoli, oatmeal, raisins and red meat, though I refuse to go so far as to eat liver. Then in accordance with some Internet article, I will also include items high in vitamin C with iron-loaded meals. Throw in some more iron supplements and not drinking caffeinated beverages within a couple hours of iron rich foods, to prevent impaired absorption, and by June 6 I’ll be leaving the Red Cross mobile a pint lighter instead of with a charity cookie.

No comments: