Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Monstrous Inconvenience

I walked home from my knitting class last night as usual. I have nearly completed my first sweater, and it looks AWESOME. (To be modeled here in the near future) Since the class takes place at Hill Top Yarn, aptly named for its location atop Queen Anne, it’s usually an easy walk down the hill, over the bridge, quick stop in the bar so Alyona can make fun of me for knitting, and then safely home. However, upon reaching the Nickerson Saloon (not bar destination previously mentioned), I’m met by the spectacle of the Fremont bridge raised for repairs, for the night. This would leave my only routes home as routing all the way to the Ballard Bridge, back up the imposing north side of Queen Anne to trudge over Aurora or just swimming the canal. I chose the hill as the shortest in distance that kept me dry, and was rather impressed I made it up Fulton Street without passing out winded.

And thus my usual 20 minute walk turned more of an hour hike. Not the most fortuitous start to the week, but probably good on the exercise front.

Fremont Bridge holds a certain prehistoric monster aura when raised on a clear night. Perhaps raising it disturbs the dragons or trolls that call it home. Certainly smaller trolls than live under Aurora, but certainly something creepy has to slink away during the nocturnal maintenance that messes with my trip home.

1 comment:

Jen G said...

Hey there, love the blog. You are an amazing writer. I am always in awe of you. We gotta hang out and do something exciting enough to be worthy of your blog. I'd love to get crazy drunk and do something stupid with you. I miss you. I wanna see the sweater. Jen