Friday, May 05, 2006

TERMINAL TANK

Whether it’s an unfortunate side effect of my being away for five days, or an inevitable tragedy, Veronica does not look long for this world.

She was the first goldfish I brought home, but ever since I introduced her to her new home, she has seemed lethargic and sickly. I’ve made the tank adjustments that are in my power, but she has only declined in health. When I got back she was only able to swim tilting sideways, had a hard time eating and was spending the majority of her time lying on the bottom of the tank.

I’ve doctored the water with healthy fish stuff, but I fear it may be too late. Since Jacqueline appears to be in fine health, despite living in the tank of doom for just as long, I am selecting to believe Veronica was ill when I brought her home, and I only hope I have been able to make her comfortable.

Now, I’m not sure how to proceed at this point. She has been clearly unwell for some time, and I had to put Jacs in a pickle jar to separate them when I noticed she was picking on V. I would like to return Jacs to the tank, but until V either starts to look better or kicks it, I’m in a holding pattern. Is there an appropriate way to euthanize a goldfish? Perhaps I lack an essential sympathetic nature for pet ownership, but I don’t want her to suffer either.

Something will have to be done this weekend. I can’t damage Jacs’ health with improper filtration while V convalesces, and I would like to get back to having a happy fish tank. V will be sorely missed, but it looks like my first fish fatality is swiftly approaching.

No comments: