Wednesday, August 16, 2006

NORMAL I TELL YOU

Slim or lithe have never been words one might describe me with. Despite my tendency to bruise easily, I’ll never be mistaken for a delicate flower. I’ve accepted, and even attempt to embrace, my plight as a voluptuous gal, though the media’s evil scheme to undermine women’s body confidence isn’t entirely unsuccessful.

In actuality I fall pretty solidly across the national averages. Average height, weight, shoe size and hair color. Unfortunately, as has been a common theme in recent press, these averages aren’t exactly healthy. Despite my mediocre physical make up, it has been alarming to refer to national institutes of health charts putting me in the obese category. While feelings about body image might fluctuate, that’s a term I’ve never imposed on my psyche.

And today I shall celebrate another measure of my normalcy. A good health program within the office has brought a barrage of diet and exercise literature, the occasional healthy snacks and weight measurements for both personal information and study data. It has been satisfying to find out that my diet and exercise routine of late is within acceptable levels, but even better than that, I have a NORMAL body fat percentage! I am normal! The little, digital machiney thing says so, and for that, I do a little dance of joy. I guess I’ll even keep going to the gym.

No comments: