Tuesday, August 08, 2006

ON THE PROWL

I’ve been ‘the single girl’ for well over a year now. Since I was ‘the girl whose boyfriend never went anywhere with her’ for far longer than recommended, it didn’t seem to affect interactions within my social circle. However, maintaining a year plus of solitary status is starting to show wear.

There are many occasions where one is expected to be paired, like dinner parties, weddings and Sunday morning breakfasts. It seems evenings out sans date are acceptable as long as one is accompanied by a circle of friends. (A current lacking in localized pals leads to my pathetically holding down a barstool trying to not look morose, but that’s another post all together.) As I’ve no intention shutting myself off from the world just because of my shameful singlehood, and I’ve proven entirely inept at rustling up casual dates thus far, I’ve been flaunting the two-by-two requirements with abandon. In addition to serving as the third, fifth or eleventh wheel about town, I’ve become the highly suspect, single vamp lurking dangerously around the fringes of the wedding party.

I swear I’m just happy to take part in the couple’s happy day and honored to be considered among their intimate friends and family. I do not have designs on any tenuously available groomsmen, and it’s truly OK if I leave the reception as solo as I arrived. My penchant for daring necklines is not to be taken as a sign of aggression. They are just very flattering, and I wouldn’t be opposed to meeting new, handsome people, while looking my best.

No comments: