Friday, June 09, 2006

THE AQUATIC PLAGUE CONTINUES

Perhaps I should not attempt to keep fish, if at the least to keep PETA from knocking on my door. I’m a pox.

Jacqueline has passed away. It was more sudden than Veronica, but the symptoms were the same. On Tuesday evening she was acting a bit strange and only staying in one corner of the tank. By Wednesday, she was listing to the side, and Thursday found her wedging herself beneath a vine of the low lying tank décor only gawping shallowly. On Friday morning I scooped her lifeless little form from the tank for good.

To add to the oddities, it appears Franc has passed away as well. I was hoping he might just pop out of his shell and start sliming about, but several days of no movement pretty much sound the death knell.

Since I have carefully followed all the care instructions I was given at the pet store and searched out online, I don’t know how I can be causing this. My new suspicion is that the store I’ve been purchasing my gals from results in short life spans once they get home. Sure, it’s way more likely I’m the cause, but I’ve got to cling to something.

Now Olivia is running solo in the tank, and I don’t think I’ll be getting her a roommate anytime soon. If she hangs around for another month or so, I’ll reconsider. Perhaps a new snail will be in order though.

RIP Jacqs.

No comments: