Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Cumpleaños feliz

My birthday ended up a bit more subdued than my initial plans which heavily favored elaborate bar hopping and happy hour surfing, but it was thoroughly enjoyable all the same.

Lunch plans fell through with my intended fellow surfer, but a day off work is never wasted when spent in leisure. I opted to stroll around Fremont in the middle of a work day and wait for the folks to arrive. For some reason I always suspect that the neighborhood is hopping with activity when I’m off slaving away at my desk, but 36th is pretty sleep in the middle of a weekday. Sure, people are wandering about, and the business lunch crowd keeps all the fab eateries in business, but I’m not missing all that much trucking down to the Intl Dist every morning. It was a gorgeous day and went for a lovely sushi lunch.

Mom and dad rolled in earlier than expected, so we left dad to rest up, after a brief instructional session on my TiVo remote, and went of for mani/pedis. I’ve never had my nails “done” before, so it was quite a treat. While I don’t know if I’d go back to hygienically questionable spot over the burrito place and I had to fight twitching my highly ticklish feet, it was a positive experience overall. Topped off the mother daughter bonding with some refreshing sangria al fresco before collecting dad for dinner.

Apparently Pontevecchios has become my traditional birthday dinner spot, as we’ve been there three of the last four years. Well, it’s still excellent, and how can you go wrong with having your favorite dish served up by solicitous Italians on your birthday? You can’t, so there.

No comments: