Tuesday, June 20, 2006

ASPIRING HOOLIGAN

I like soccer/fútbol. I’ve played it and watched it, but I can’t say that I’ve followed it. With the World Cup on this month, I’ve been following every stat and group update. I still don’t fully follow the tournament organization, but I think I’m catching on. The nine hour time change putting the games right during business hours, they’re being played on the lobby plasma screen, and I’m totally hooked.

My favorites are naturally the US and Spain, but I haven’t seen a match that didn’t hold my wrapped attention yet. The hot players don’t hurt either (what? I’m shallow). I’m looking into trading cards and posters at this point.

It really is a beautiful game that doesn’t discriminate on economic and cultural basis. It’s a shame the US hasn’t embraced the sport on a professional level, but it’s good to know that I live only a few blocks from one of the best bars for watching fútbol year round so I can keep up on it all. At least it’s a good way fill time until American football is back in action.

No comments: