Sunday, June 18, 2006

UNSKILLED LABOR

I have returned, achy and bone tired, from the wilds of far eastern Washington, where my dearest friends have chosen to make their new home. Dayton is an adorable town with sweet neighborhoods branching off from the one stop light main street. It’s got the basics for a simple life and not much more, but certainly seems like a charming place to settle down, if that’s ones goal.

For my part I find it to be a bit too far from the nearest Nordstrom Rack for my taste, drops off the map of any national company cell phone coverage and has no discernable night life from the first impression. Since I’m not looking to settle down anytime soon, it’s not my kind of thing.

I was part of an envoy to help in the home renovation of my friend’s starter home before they move over for good. It was two days of physical labor that isn’t entirely my forte, but I like to think I held my own. Four coats of paint (two primer, two color) on the two story vaulted ceilings covered in acoustic tile have left me with a stiff neck and hands permanently clenched in the shape of the roller handle. On the up side, the house shows all kinds of potential to be great, and I think we took some positive strides in that direction. I’m also taking a long look at plans to own my own place some day and how much renovation I’ll be prepared to put in.

No comments: