Tuesday, June 27, 2006

WILTING

The heat wave has come early this summer. Hitting the 90s before July is unusual, and much speculation is flying as to whether this means we’re in for a long hot summer or if it’s going to burn out so we get a crappy fall. Hey, there isn’t a lot to talk about around the office.

I look forward to the short, intense periods of summer’s force. I’m not one for roasting myself to a golden brown, at least outside of vacation time, but I love the heat induced slow down that hits the city. Soaking up lackadaisical hours with a trivial book and heading to bed ever later waiting for a breath of cool air to close the day. My clearest summer memories involve trying to stay still, limiting any skin to skin contact and the primary activity to seek out and drink all manner of iced beverages.

Coming to work, with its proficient air conditioning, is a bit of a break, but I can’t shake the desire to get back outside, away from business efficiency and the digital pace. I want to melt into a bar stool or park bench for a few hours and come away with only a slight sun burn and sweat sheen to show for it.

1 comment:

Sean Oliver said...

melt into a bar stool? ewww.