Thursday, June 15, 2006

ESTOY LIBRE!

It seems like any other day. Just cruising the internet when I should be working. The norm. With hesitant key strokes I have just made the final electronic payment on my consumer debt. My credit cards are PAID! OFF! COMPLETELY!

(With the exception of the AMEX revolving credit, but that totally doesn’t count as is paid off each month. Still awesome!)

Like many young Americans, this debt has followed me since college, reaching an unsettling high point when the Ex and I were combining our debt for better interest rates. (I was young and dumb, whatever.) I had begun to doubt I would ever shed it, but last summer my resolve was reset, thanks to fairly steady and reliable income. An extra boost from the tax return has allowed me to obliterate my consumer debt just in time to start making monthly payments on my post grad school student loans. Sure it’s basically a trade from one to the other, but student debt is so much better than consumer. With a comfy interest rate locked in last year before it all went to hell w/ the Fed, I’m sitting as pretty as can be expected.

Next thing you know I’ll be setting up a retirement fund. Fantastic!

No comments: